The Color of Fire: a Novel by Ann Rinaldi
As a colony of Britain, America is at war with Spain and so the people of New York are living with a heightened state of alert, and afraid that Catholics may be acting as an agent of Spain. Phoebe, the servant of the wealthy Philipse family, has many priviledges- she has a tutor, and she travels through town unescorted. Things begin to change, however, after fires begin destroying buildings in town and black slaves are accused of setting the blazes. Phoebe's best friend, and fellow slave, Cuffee is accused of being one of the ring leaders of the plot. People begin implementing each other left and right and Pheobe must decide between doing what is right, and gaining her own freedom.
I was disappointed in this work, as I didn't feel it was up to Ann Rinaldi's typical quality. I found the characters to be fairly flat and difficult connect with emotionally. As always, the historical event is well researched (as evident by the bibliography in the back) and represents a more obscure event in American history. The book compares these events to those of the Salem Witch Trial, which seem to be an accurate comparison. The book reads quickly and contains some graphic descriptions of bodies burning- but it not sensationalized.
I was disappointed in this work, as I didn't feel it was up to Ann Rinaldi's typical quality. I found the characters to be fairly flat and difficult connect with emotionally. As always, the historical event is well researched (as evident by the bibliography in the back) and represents a more obscure event in American history. The book compares these events to those of the Salem Witch Trial, which seem to be an accurate comparison. The book reads quickly and contains some graphic descriptions of bodies burning- but it not sensationalized.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home